How I Got 'Trapped' into K-pop Dungeon

 

IKON live in Jakarta 2017


    Like it or not, K-pop has dominated the world. Especially these past 10 years. Something in their music, dance, or fashion successfully captured so many hearts, including me. But If you know me before 2015, you might know that I'm not into K-pop stuff at all. I feel irritated every time my friends start talking or squeaking because their idols posted something on the net. Or when they suddenly gathered to watch the MV, variety show, reality show, or whatever it is. I just don't understand the way they 'worship' their idols😅.

    I think why I finally surrender and diving straight into the K-pop dungeon is because of karma. I believe my friends have been secretly praying for me to also fall for it so that I'll understand how they feel😋. The story started in 2015. That year I was kinda heartbroken after Zayn Malik left One Direction. FYI, I've been into 1D since 2011 and the night they perform in Jakarta is the same night when Zayn left the group.  That makes me really sad and kinda despise anything boy-group-related. So it's natural for me to hate when my college friends suddenly become hardcore fans of BTS (back then, they weren't as big as you might know now). That's really stressed me out! They won't stop making me memorize each member's name (their real & stage name!) and every time BTS released an MV, they would ask me to watch it together. My other friends who not into K-pop mostly are Korean drama lovers.  Long story short, I've been exposed to Korean things for some serious time! 😂😂😂





    The first ones that I listen to are some songs from YG artists, like Bigbang, 2NE1, and Winner. To be honest, I instantly like it! Well, Bigbang is not new to me. I remember back in junior high school when my friend asked me to watch 'Fantastic Baby' MV (that later turns out to be their mega-hit). The tunes are so catchy and energetic. A lil bit EDM-ish (the kind of music that definitely will make you dance hahaha). And there's something about their fashion and appearance that are so captivating. It's quirky and eccentric but somehow makes them unique and 'different'.




    After I listened and watched them for quite some time, I also become eager to experience their live performance. I was pretty stoked when I find out that Bigbang will hold their concert in Jakarta on August 1st 2015. I remember went to the ticketing office and got the very last ticket for the section that I wanted😅. If you never went to a K-pop or any Korean music concert, you might experience mini culture shock, since the overall ambiance is quite different. The fan's attributes are more 'lively', including the lightstick (every group has its own lightstick). They would yell fanchants along to the songs their favorite singers are performing live, instead of singing the lyrics. I also found the fans are friendlier to each other. They won't hesitate to talk to you or accompany you if you went there alone. I've never experienced this sweet gesture in other concerts/events! 

    Fangirling over Bigbang and other YG artists is the beginning of my k-pop journey and the rest is history😉. I realized that trying to learn about something new is not too bad. K-pop is not all about their passionate fans, expensive concert tickets & goods, or a group of people who dance & sing, but it also part of their culture. It started to feel like learning new culture through something fun!

    After few years, I've come to understand that you can't hate something that you've never experienced. It's totally okay to try something new (even though it irritates you at the beginning😄). Who knows if you're going to find something that will sparks your life more?

See you tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts